Friday, January 8, 2010

Opting for the Easy Road?

Did you ever make one of those decisions that seemed like "This is the one!" It's gonna be a life changer! And then everything hits the fan. I mean everything! Life goes upside down, a family member goes to the hospital, your mate leaves town to help and circumstances don't tell you when they'll be back, work is boring, the car breaks down, and you can't find your credit card. You long for the safe road, the easy highway again. But you can't find the right turn and it seems like the directions you have are all wrong.

I think that's because the more than average life requires a fight. I think some call it the good fight of faith. Kind of like you only get stronger with exercise. You work against the resistance and that makes you a stronger more fit person. You believe there will be better days.

"Safety, comfortable" are the motto words for the average. But this whole journey is about becoming more. Robert Schuller said "Every problem is just a question awaiting an answer." Yeah! In other words. Slow down and think about it! There is a way. Don't opt for the easy road just because life throws you a couple curve balls for a few days. Find the way. Solve the puzzle (I like word finds). That in itself is better than average. Because most people give up. I'm not giving up and neither should you.

David Viscot wrote "If your life is ever going to get better, you'll have to take risks." So risk it, fight against the resistance and discover the the answer to being a bit better. I'm on your side. You are not fighting alone. I believe there's better days ahead.

Oh, and still don't buy a beige car. See you tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. Discovering our "why" makes risk worth the extra effort. And the "why" must come from our own heart, not from the shouldas and wouldas in our head. Just makes all the difference when the going gets tough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I hate it when I get all excited and motivated to be self-disciplined, organized, and intentional only to have any control of how I spend my time or efforts taken away. It's difficult to fight average when you have deal with the hundreds of fires that need our attention. To me, average involves spending too much time on the little fires that sidetrack us from the important bonfires. Kind of that "can't see the forest through the trees" idea. Hope you found your credit card :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW - maybe you didn't see my earlier comment, but seriously, Geoff, what make you believe you're "average" in the first place, and what will it look like when you're "not average"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ask that because my husband could be considered "average" if he is judged by many standards the world uses. But Alan is an incredibly "unaverage" man/human being. I am blown away by his faithful, steady work ethic, commitment to God's standards, character, thoughtfulness, BALANCE, integrity, and on and on. So, my point is, what do unaverage look like to you? In these days, I believe the best way to be "unaverage" is a lifestyle that shows complete and humble obdeience to what God values. Have you seen "The Truth Project"? I was surprised by the following facts:
    1. 4% of Americans biblical worldview.
    2. 9% of professed born-again Christians hold a biblical worldview.

    Therefore, I believe that one criteria for "above average" is actually living out a biblical worldview.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL - as I review my comments, I am horrified by my below average attention to proofing :-)

    ReplyDelete