Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Life Bites! Ooh Ouch!

Here's a killer I read this morning:
"Would the boy (or girl) you were be proud of the man (or woman) you've become?"

Last night I spent 2.5 hours in a session learning and talking about finances. While it was presented in a fashion that definitely made you laugh, the truths were, well let's say penetrating. Talks about things like, "What's your debt level" (want a scary view? Include your mortgage.),"Do you have a college fund for the kids?", "How about savings to (get this statement) retire with dignity?!", "Do you have an emergency reserve fund equal to 3-6 mos expenses? Because something WILL come up!", "How about a monthly budget?". There were talks about how we live on credit and the "Shazam! They moved Christmas!" (or any other special occasion)and now it's an emergency and how with credit we end up living with it for years and the cost (interest).

Needless to say. I've succumb to the fact that at least I find myself living beyond my means at times. And compound that with the realization of the credit card interest rates! And while it's exciting that they raised our credit limit again, I realize that the rate of interests is probably higher than most loan sharks charge! And they do it legally!!!!!

Time to apply the issue of "above average" to the finances. Because in reality it's average to be in debt. Hey, everybody else is doing it! Well not me! Not any more!
I was encouraged last night by what is called "Baby Steps" and starting today I'm taking them. Focusing on things like "an emergency fund", "Savings", "Monthly Budgeting", etc. . . Hey, remember "Baby Steps". Do you remember a couple days ago we talked about the little things. If you'd like more help with things like this yourself I'd certainly recommend this website . . . https://www.mytotalmoneymakeover.com/index.cfm I think Dave's got something there.

Come on . . . run with me a bit. We can do this! (I know I can) Remember if we make a little head way, we're above average, and that's a great place to be.

Feel the success and see you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment