Monday, January 4, 2010

Oh Ouch!

Here ya go the day started with these:
"You can't fulfill your destiny on theory . . . It takes WORK!

" What you believe doesn't amount to much unless it causes you to climb out of the grandstand and onto the playing field."

"The only time a lazy person succeeds is when he tries to do nothing."

And . . .
"God made the birds and the worms. But he didn't drop the worms in the bird's nest."

Talk about convicting stuff! So I head off to work with good intentions. Bent on be more (better) than average. Ta da! So I volunteer at work to go to a different area and look for the dead mouse that someone says they can smell. Well they were right. It stinketh! And . . . fifty 40lb. bags, two dead mice, cleaning up a ton of bird seed, 5-6 bags with mouse holes in them and a whole lot of bad smell later and I have accomplished what no one else really wanted to do. (You know that smell seemed stuck in my nose all day.)

But here's what I learned. Sometimes being a bit more than average means taking on what others will not or do not want to do. Going the extra mile so to speak. And you know what else? It will get you noticed. I was affectionately nicknamed "The Verminator" today. But I was also named team member of the week in my department, someone who did something extra.

So I guess I'm feeling pretty good about the fight today. A small victory is in hand. AND I can definitely say it fells pretty good. Now to translate it into other areas of my life. I think I'll drag this over into exercising and diet tomorrow. Whoa there now. Easy. Well you know what I mean.

Take the small victories and use them to accomplish a little more. Never give up! Never surrender! There's a long year ahead.

See you tomorrow.:>)

2 comments:

  1. You are my hero on so many levels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I've been thinking about your "fight" a lot. Go for it :-) However, I am compelled to say something... I would NEVER have described you as "average" to begin with. Here's the differentiation point between you and the other lemmings - you have never been content with average. For as long as I have known you, you have ALWAYS been working on being a better version of you. You have never been content to stagnate. I admire that!

    ReplyDelete