Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Passing the Baton - A Case for Better Than Average.

Today is marked with sadness and thanks. Today my mother-in law has passed away (sadness). Lord knows I loved her and my father-in-law. Jake and Tully Kendall defined family for me. Family more than I had ever known. For this I am eternally grateful (thanks). I will miss them both, maybe more than I miss my own parents who have also passed away. Tully's life held the true meaning of family and social acceptance for me. After all she accepted me as a son-in-law over 3 decades ago. To think that maybe she saw something in me that could carry on her family with my wife is simply beyond my comprehension. But here we are. The carrying on is handed down to us. Those of us who are left (relatives) to keep and hold family together.

The cry to be more. . . better than average. . . is now louder than ever. Through tears I wonder at being up to the task. But I know with my maker, that all things are possible. I believe that is called faith. For them both I trust in God's providence.

We now will be the next to pass. Our goal, to see to and secure the heritage of family. We must sacrifice what is necessary, and boldly proclaim the need to be closer to all who will listen, inside and outside our immediate families. To our children and our friends. The flag has been passed.

To those of you who would follow these ramblings. Stretch with me, grow a bit to be better. Especially in this area of family. Call someone you love today. Tell them how you feel. Don't harp on the wrong but magnify the right and call them to closeness with your voice and your actions. Together we can be better than average. In fact I think there's a key there . . . "Together" we ARE better than average.
Good luck and God bless. . . see you later.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for that, Geoff... I am so sorry for yours and Pam's loss.

    ReplyDelete