Monday, February 15, 2010

Whatcha Believin?

One of the major distinctions between average performers and champions is their belief system. Average people are just like champions in the fact that the average tend to be a product of their mental programming. In other words we all learned from our past, parents, teachers, coaches, etc. . . In most case though this programming is limited because it comes from people who believe they are limited themselves. To create a new system of belief we have to cast off our limitations. That's why as "average" we are saddled with beliefs that are more about "survival" than success. As average we are programmed to avoid pain at all costs, which promotes a "playing not to lose" mentality rather than a, "playing to win mentality" that involves an element of risk.

I have learned lately about something that I had cast off as silly. But that, I've surmised, was my average thinking. SELF-TALK. Yepper, talking to yourself about the way it could be, or should be. "I am not average, I am doing something positive to improve everyday." When I talk to myself like that I am programming myself to do more, perhaps better things. It's like waving your dreams and goals in front of your face. The proverbial dangling the carrot in front of the horse thing. I find like the horse I am willing to follow the carrot. I found out this is how "Champions" train.
(Anybody watching the Olympics?)

It doesn't matter how young or old your are, you can start rearranging your beliefs regardless of your current lot in life or upbringing. Believe you can change things, shake off the limitations and TELL YOURSELF (Self-talk) that you can do it. That's right, OUT LOUD, SAY IT! Hey it's a beginning.

It's been stated that, "As average people we believe champions are more intelligent, the champions know better. The truth is that intelligence plays a very small part. Belief is the real star of the show." Go for it! I believe you can.

Today - Make a list of your most closely held beliefs, and begin the process of questioning whether they are serving you in your journey out of average, or holding you back. Remember the old saying, "If you think you can't. You can't. If you think you can. YOU CAN!" Tell yourself you can! - Talking to myself and seeing you later.

1 comment:

  1. Way to stay committed to writing! i see you posted at 4:53am! ... I once read a quote that changed the way I look at naysayers (and that includes that voice in my head that tells me I can't)..."Those who say it can't be done should get out of the way of those doing it."

    Love reading over here. Always makes me think. :)

    ReplyDelete